geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Customizing install of apps
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2008 01:51:05 GMT

On Dec 27, 2008, at 3:41 PM, jamesdcarroll wrote:

> I'm really new to Geronimo/J2EE and was wondering if it is possible
> to place
> my own customer installer in front of geronimos. We want to create a
> number
> of products that do different things, but we need to have a central
> repository that tracks them, which will be its own product as well.
>
> Basically the use case would be:
> 1. User opens our admin app on geronimo(a WAR/EAR)
> 2. User elects to add new component; the components would be WAR or
> EAR
> files
> 3. My program grabs it and parses a manifest or some other kind of
> config
> file in it
> 4. My program updates/does whatever it needs to
> 5. My program hands the WAR/EAR off to Geronimo for it to do its thing
>
> As I mentioned, I'm kinda new and I'm reading the doc fast as I
> can.  If
> there's something out there that I can maybe focus on, any point in
> the
> right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Geronimo is actually designed to make strategies like this fairly
easy.  You want to deploy your applications as geronimo plugins
(probably using a maven build and the car-maven-plugin).  You can then
either assemble custom servers including your applications (and
leaving out stuff they don't need) or provide a basic geronimo server
and a plugin repository containing your plugins: in the latter case
you can use the existing plugin installer portlet to show the choices
and let people install the ones they want, or write your own front end.

Plugins are a bit easier to work with in geronimo trunk/2.2-SNAPSHOT
than in the released geronimo versions.  We'll probably have 2.2 out
before you get too far with this project :-).

There is some documentation, especially for 2.2, on plugins, custom
server assemblies, and also dealing with both of these using eclipse/
GEP.

Let us know if you have more questions or need more capabilities in
the plugin system.

thanks
david jencks.