geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Tim McConnell <tim.mcco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Eclipse Plugin (GEP) Deployment problem
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:20:21 GMT
Hi bonbosdude, thanks for your initial impressions of the Geronimo server and
corresponding Eclipse Plugin. There are probably multiple methods available to
you to easily accomplish what you're trying to do without have to manually update
deployment descriptors (i.e., your question #2 below). In general for Java EE 2
artifacts in your Eclipse workspace you can create either "Project References" or
"J2EE Module Dependencies" between other projects in your workspace. So for
example, if you have a Web project in your workspace that is dependent on a
utility Java project (i.e., POJO) in your workspace, you can specify a "Project
Reference" between the two (i.e., right-click on the corresponding project,
select "properties", and then select "Project References"). In this manner, when
the Web project gets deployed the dependent JAR file will get imbedded in the WAR
file. There are other alternatives if you have many deployable artifacts with the
same JAR dependency such that your  deployment time becomes prohibitive, which
conceivably might be the case for your question #3 below. If that is the case,
you could consider the usage of Geronimo's and the GEP's sharedlib support. One
alternative that might be applicable for the case of an EJB that is dependent on
a POJO Jar (i.e., question #1 below) is to create a EAR application, include both
the EJB and the JAR, and then simply deploy the EAR.

Hopefully, I'm not being too vague. If you need more specifics please let me
know. Based on the names of your artifacts I would guess they are proprietary so
I doubt you can share them with me, but we can probably create some dummy
artifacts from the samples and tutorials to demonstrate these various techniques
if that would help you and your development team. Thanks.