geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Russell E Glaue <rgl...@cait.org>
Subject feature? ContainerGroup
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2008 15:46:03 GMT
Being that Geronimo only allows one statically configured Jetty instance,
configured as a GBean. And to get more instances, you have to install additional
Jetty gbeans under a new container name.

Plus, being that there is only one NCSARequestLog gbean, which has hard coded
the logfile name and location, and we are not able to change the name and
location without recompiling.

Should Geronimo be modified to allow these to be dynamic?

I think that being able to spawn multiple containers and reconfigure log files
should be something dynamic, and configurable in the var/config/config.xml file
without having to add additional gbeans/plugins.

Something like the following could result for configuration:
-
<module name="JettyWebContainer2"
gbean="org.apache.geronimo.jetty6.connector.JettyWebContainerFactory">
</module>

<module name="NCSARequestLog2"
gbeanInfo="org.apache.geronimo.jetty6.requestlog.NCSARequestLogFactory">
</module>

<module name="ContainerGroup" gbean="org.apache.geronimo.jetty6.ContainerGroup">
    <reference name="JettyContainer">
        <name>JettyWebContainer2</name>
    </reference>
    <reference name="RequestLog">
        <name>NCSARequestLog2</name>
    </reference>
    <reference name="ThreadPool">
      <name>DefaultThreadPool</name>
    </reference>
    <reference name="ServerInfo">
      <name>ServerInfo</name>
    </reference>
</module>
-

Where JettyWebContainerFactory and NCSARequestLogFactory produce separate
running instances of JettyWebContainer and NCSARequestLog respectively.

Or with the Factory option, perhaps all that is needed is:
-
<module name="NCSARequestLog2"
gbeanInfo="org.apache.geronimo.jetty6.requestlog.NCSARequestLogFactory">
</module>

<module name="JettyWebContainer2"
gbean="org.apache.geronimo.jetty6.connector.JettyWebContainerFactory">
    <reference name="RequestLog">
        <name>NCSARequestLog2</name>
    </reference>
</module>
-

But I think it would be a good idea to be able to group configurations together.

<class1>
    <listen socket/>
    <virtual server 1>
        <hostname alias/>
        <log configuration/>
        <web application 1/>
    </virtual server 1>
    <virtual server 2>
        <hostname alias/>
        <log configuration/>
        <web application 1/>
    </virtual server 2>
    <log configuration/>
</class1>

<class2>
    <listen socket/>
    <virtual server 1>
        <hostname alias/>
        <log configuration/>
        <web application 1/>
        <web application 2/>
        <web application 3/>
    </virtual server 1>
    <log configuration/>
</class2>

Where each class is a separated Web Container.

What is the general opinion about this?

-RG