geronimo-user mailing list archives

From bongosdude <bongosd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Eclipse Plugin (GEP) Deployment problem
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:12:53 GMT

Hi Tim,

I explored more with GEP today and I got further based on your hints and
recommendations. I have a questions about Geronimo repository/shared lib:

It seems to me that Geronimo borrows the repository concepts from maven to
managed shared libraries which can be shared among J2EE applications. One of
the library that geronimo uses is slf4j-api.log. From the console I can
installed shared jars to geronimo repository, but how can I specify which
one (version 1.4.3 instead of 1.5.3) of slf4j-api.jar to be used by my J2EE
webapp. Where do I specify my app dependencies on a shared libs under
geronimo repository?

Thanks
-B

bongosdude wrote:

> [...]
>> for
>> example, if you have a Web project in your workspace that is dependent on
>> utility Java project (i.e., POJO) in your workspace, you can specify a
>> "Project
>> Reference" between the two (i.e., right-click on the corresponding
>> project,
>> select "properties", and then select "Project References"). In this
>> manner, when
>> the Web project gets deployed the dependent JAR file will get imbedded in
>> the WAR
>> file. There are other alternatives if you have many deployable artifacts
>> with the
>> same JAR dependency such that your  deployment time becomes prohibitive,
>> which
>> conceivably might be the case for your question #3 below. If that is the
>> case,
>> you could consider the usage of Geronimo's and the GEP's sharedlib
>> support. One
>> alternative that might be applicable for the case of an EJB that is
>> dependent on
>> a POJO Jar (i.e., question #1 below) is to create a EAR application,
>> include both
>> the EJB and the JAR, and then simply deploy the EAR.
>>
>> Hopefully, I'm not being too vague. If you need more specifics please let
>> me
>> know. Based on the names of your artifacts I would guess they are
>> proprietary so
>> I doubt you can share them with me, but we can probably create some dummy
>> artifacts from the samples and tutorials to demonstrate these various
>> techniques
>> if that would help you and your development team. Thanks.
>>
>> bongosdude wrote:
>>> I am new to Geronimo and I have to say that I am quite impressed with
>>> it. It
>>> really beats my expectation for a new and young JEE server. IMHO,
>>> geronimo
>>> is as good as weblogic. I have followed steps by steps most of geronimo
>>> 2.1.1 samples and successfully installed GEP. However, I have problems
>>> with
>>> GEP deployment when I tried to extend the tutorials. Here are what I did
>>>
>>> 1. based on the stateless session tutorial, I added a new stateless
>>> session
>>> bean which will interface with Paypal web services. This stateless
>>> session
>>> will send credit card information to settle a credit card charge based
>>> on
>>> PayPal SDK.
>>>
>>> 2. I tested this API outside the geronimo environment and it works
>>>
>>> 3. When I tried to deploy this new EJB to geronimo through GEP, the GEP
>>> failed to deploy to my geronimo local server with the message "No Class
>>> Exception: com.paypal.sdk.exceptions.PayPalException"
>>>
>>> 4. I found out that GEP only bundle my EJB in car format and deploy to
>>> geronimo. It did not include any dependent JARs that I setup with
>>> eclipse.
>>> This is why geronimo cannot deploy the EJB since the dependent paypal
>>> SDK
>>> jar is not deployed to geronimo repository.
>>>
>>> 5. I had to go to geronimo console and manually added dependent JARs
>>> files
>>>
>>> My questionss are:
>>>
>>> 1. how and what can I do to setup GEP to deploy all my dependent jars
>>> with
>>> my EJB without having to manually setup dependent jars through console
>>>
>>> 2. Do I have to specify depend libraries in the openejb-jar.xml like
>>> below:
>>>
>>>    			<dep:dependency>
>>> 				<dep:groupId>paypal.paypal-sdk</dep:groupId>
>>> 				<dep:artifactId>paypal-stubs</dep:artifactId>
>>> 				<dep:version>4.3.1</dep:version>
>>> 				<dep:type>jar</dep:type>
>>> 			</dep:dependency>
>>>
>>> (GEP does not deploy libs by looking at the above dependency)
>>>
>>> 3. How would GEP work with referenced or dependent project in Eclipse?
>>> For
>>> example, I would like to write a common package that includes
>>> base/common
>>> java beans that would be used by web application and EJB tiers. How
>>> would
>>> like GEP to deploy the ref. project with my EJB too. How can I do this
>>> with
>>> GEP?
>>>

>>> Can someone give me helps or hints on how I can achieve these geronimo
>>> tasks? This would help me to decide move my team development to
>>> Geronimo. I
>>> have tons of questions about geronimo, but these basic tasks would solve
>>> most of my current problems with geronimo deployment.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any helps.
>>>
>>> -----
>>> B Amigo:super:

-----