geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to Use Maven with Geronimo J2EE project
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:40:00 GMT

On Dec 15, 2008, at 3:10 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2008, at 7:17 PM, bongosdude wrote:
>

>> I would lile to use maven to mange our project build/deploy during
>> development, QA and production release. Maven is good at managing
>> dependencies. While GEP can get us up to speed in development, it
>> is tricky
>> to manage dependency using eclipse among team members. I have tried
>> to read
>> geronimo sample to see how maven is used to build and deploy geronimo
>> sample. However, I could not find out how maven is used with
>> gernonimo.
>>
>> Can someone help to explain or give me suggestions on how I can
>> learn more
>> on this subject?
>
> 0. For team-wide access set up a team accessible maven repository.
> I've demoed this using sonatype nexus which works great but you can
> also set up httpd or presumably a lot of other things.
>
> 1. set up a maven project for each of your apps to use the geronimo
> car-maven-plugin to "pre-deploy" your application into a geronimo
> plugin. Deploy it into the team-wide maven repository (configure the
> deploymenManagement of your pom to point to the team repo)
>
> 2. set up a maven  project to assemble a custom server, again using
> the car-maven-plugin.  Include the framework plugin group and your
> apps and any optional stuff from geronimo you might want such as
> parts of the admin console.  Everything else needed will be pulled
> in too.
>
> 3. After deploying the assembled server it too will be available
> from the shared repo.
>
> There are a couple geronimo archetypes to help setting up these
> maven projects but they are rather primitive and dont use the new
> archetype plugin features.... they still might help.
> geronimo-plugin-archetype sets up a plugin project
> geronimo-assembly-archetype sets up a custom server assembly project.
>
> Perhaps the simplest example of all this in action is in geronimo
> trunk in the plugins/monitoring console: along with the base code,
> and the monitoring console portal application, we build plugins for
> the app and a server containing the monitoring console and run a
> simple integration test.

Just going to point out that this is not the *only* technique of using
maven with Geronimo. You can also build your application, and deploy
it (using maven or using Geronimo administrative commands). Building a
customized server is certainly a nice feature. However, it's not the
only option...

This would be a nice documentation project for someone...

--kevan