geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Ted Kirby" <>
Subject Re: status from shell script (System V starup)
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:00:07 GMT
I like the approach.  If you get a proper response, you have
more confidence the server is running well.  With the other approach,
the server process could be hung.  It is quick, tho.  If the
hangs, you'd have to account for that.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Doug Reeder <> wrote:
> I've written a bash shell script to start and stop geronimo, for use with
> System V startup (scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d/).
> Start and stop are straightforward, as the scripts in $GERONIMO_HOME/bin/
> just need to be called, but status is less obvious.  The best I've come up
> with so far is
> su -l -c "$GERONIMO_HOME/bin/ -u $GERONIMO_ADMIN -p
> $GERONIMO_PASSWORD list-modules" $USER
> but it's not satisfactory:
> 1) if geronimo is not running, it produces a stack dump, when all I want is
> a simple message indicating geronimo is not running

Wouldn't > /dev/null and/or 2>/dev/null handle that?

> 2) I have to include the geronimo administrator password in the script  (of
> course, it also needs to be in the script so geronimo can be shut down).

You could use deploy --login:

> Can anyone suggest something better?   If geronimo is running, what would be
> best is a short list of all the ports it's listening on.  (Then one could
> use netstat or whatever to see if one can actually access them).

Ted Kirby

View raw message