geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: status from shell script (System V starup)
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 01:04:22 GMT

On Nov 12, 2008, at 3:57 PM, Doug Reeder wrote:

> I've written a bash shell script to start and stop geronimo, for use
> with System V startup (scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d/).
>
> Start and stop are straightforward, as the scripts in $GERONIMO_HOME/
> bin/ just need to be called, but status is less obvious.  The best
> I've come up with so far is
>
> su -l -c "$GERONIMO_HOME/bin/deploy.sh -u $GERONIMO_ADMIN -p
> $GERONIMO_PASSWORD list-modules" $USER
>
> but it's not satisfactory:
> 1) if geronimo is not running, it produces a stack dump, when all I
> want is a simple message indicating geronimo is not running
>
> 2) I have to include the geronimo administrator password in the
> script  (of course, it also needs to be in the script so geronimo
> can be shut down).
>
> Can anyone suggest something better?   If geronimo is running, what
> would be best is a short list of all the ports it's listening on.
> (Then one could use netstat or whatever to see if one can actually
> access them).

There are no guarantees any particular port will be in use.  The ports
are generally set in var/config/config-substitutions.properties.  The
port most likely to be open on any geronimo server is the jndi port,
normally NamingPort + PortOffset or 1099 + 0.

I know nothing about this stuff but kinda thought usually one put the
PID of the process in a file and if the PID was still there you
figured the app was running..... like I said I know nothing.

thanks
david jencks