geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Doug Reeder <reeder...@gmail.com>
Subject JPA in Web Tier: Up from Little-G, or Down from Java EE 5 Certified?
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2008 03:55:27 GMT
I have a small web application which uses JPA from the web tier (i.e.
I don't use any EJB).   The Java application server needs to run with
as small a memory footprint as possible, since it will run on a VPS
with only 96 MB of memory.

The question is: Is it easier to start with Little-G and add the
necessary components, or start with the Java EE 5 Certified
configuration and disable unnecessary services?

Little-G appears to come configured to support JTA transactions, but
not JPA.  There's a plugin for "Application-Managed JPA" at www.geronimoplugins.com
, but this only supports TopLink and RESOURCE_LOCAL transactions,
unlike the OpenJPA and JTA support in the Java EE 5 Certified
configuration.   Is there documentation on how OpenJPA  was integrated
into the Java EE 5 Certified configuration?  I haven't found anything
at openjpa.apache.org nor cwiki.apache.org.