geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Simon Aquilina <sim...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: J2EE Connector 1.5 Specification
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:28:32 GMT

Hi,

Sorry to bring this up again. I read most of the connector specification and I feel I understand
better the concepts. I therefore tried to download tranql source code to have the source code
of an outbound connector. However it seems that the cvs repository for this does not work
since my cvs client is telling me that the host could not be found. Does anyone know from
where I can download examples of inbound and outbound connectors?

Thanks and Regards,
Simon J.

From: david_jencks@yahoo.com
To: user@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: J2EE Connector 1.5 Specification
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:09:33 -0700

On Sep 24, 2008, at 5:36 AM, Simon Aquilina wrote:Hi Juergen,

Thanks for your quick reply. That is very similar to what I want to try and achieve and the
concept is very similar to the one I was trying to achieve on Tomcat! Is there something like
this provided by the Apache Software Foundation?
Based on the level of writing in the documentation I would be careful using txconnect. I only
looked at the documentation for a couple minutes.  While I did not see any of the glaring
errors I usually find in j2ca projects it looks to me as if there were quite a few misleading
statements.
If you are looking for a framework for building outbound j2ca connectors, there is also the
codehaus tranql project which is under asl 2.0.  Geronimo ships with the tranql db adapters
to provide jdbc connectivity.
However, based on your original attempt to do something related to a tomcat http connector
I really doubt you are interested in an outbound connector, which is designed to let your
server program connect to other programs such as a database, SAP, CICS, etc as a client.
You might possibly be interested in a j2ca inbound connector.  The standard example of these
is a jms implementation supplying messages to mdbs.
Perhaps you could explain what you are trying to do:
- what the source of messages is- what transport and protocol they travel over- what the consumer
of the messages is- whether the communication is synchronous (message receiver sends a reply
back to the message sender) or asynchronous (no reply to messages, such as with MOM or jms)-
which role(s) your server program will be playing- how many clients, servers, and messages
you want to handle
thanksdavid jencks

Regards,
Simon J.

> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:04:34 +0200
> From: weberjn@gmail.com
> To: user@geronimo.apache.org
> Subject: Re: J2EE Connector 1.5 Specification
>
> Have a look at http://txconnect.sourceforge.net/
> it might make your job a lot easier.
>
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Simon Aquilina <sim085@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am interested in developing a custom connector for Geronimo so that the
> > latter can communicate using a protocol different then Http. I had started a
> > similar project on Tomcat, however I then realised that Tomcat treats all
> > requests as Http requests internally.
> >
> > I therefore decided to focus my energy on Geronimo since this is a real
> > application server and J2EE certified.
> >
> > I thought that first of all I should read the J2EE Connector 1.5
> > Specification. Is this the right place to start? Or Geronimo has some other
> > documentation which I should consider? I have tried the Documentation
> > section to see what is available but (like in the case of Tomcat) I did not
> > find much related to connectors.
> >
> > Also please do correct me if I say anything stupid. I am not an expert
> > programmer nor do I know how Geronimo works inside out. However I am willing
> > to do an effort and learn and am willing to put as much time as needed to
> > learn things correctly.
> >
> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Simon J.

> > Explore the seven wonders of the world Learn more!

Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces. It's easy! Try
it!

Explore the seven wonders of the world