geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Best way for an LDAPConnection from an EJB?
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:28:30 GMT

On Oct 22, 2008, at 6:33 AM, Juergen Weber wrote:

> What is the best way for an LDAPConnection from an EJB?
>
> Simply use JNDI or (even worse?) JLDAP, even if this means socket
> calls not
> under control of Geronimo?
>
> Or use a JCA connector like LDAP JCA
> (http://www.alexander-lindhorst.de/inhalt/java/ldapjca/index.html) ?

I suspect you will have to experiment to find a solution that works
for your needs.  I don't understand any appreciable amount of german
but the sample code for LDAP JCA makes me think that it is using JNDI
under the covers.    From the complaints about jndi -ldap mismatch on
the apacheds dev list I suspect jldap would be worth looking into.  I
know the apacheds has been refactoring the server to avoid jndi.  I
think that they may have a non-jndi ldap client as well.

It might be worth investigating writing a jca connector for one of
these non-jndi ldap clients.  It would probably be easy to adapt the
tranql framework for this, tranql is designed to have flexible base
classes for such purposes.  It might also be possible to adapt the
ldap jca project you found: I haven't looked at its code at all but
will warn you that many "jca" resource adapters that aren't heavily
used turn out to be experiments someone wrote while trying to
understand the jca spec and often contain serious errors and
misunderstandings.  Hopefully this ldap-jca is not one of these but
actually works :-)

Please let us know what you find out and decide to do!

thanks
david jencks