geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: NPE on Deployment
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2008 20:02:33 GMT

On Oct 6, 2008, at 12:02 PM, John wrote:

> [...]
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:124)
>   at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:867)
>   at
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:
> 239)
>   at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .deployment
> .plugin
> .local.AbstractDeployCommand.doDeploy(AbstractDeployCommand.java:116)
>   at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .deployment
> .plugin.local.DistributeCommand.run(DistributeCommand.java:61)
>   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
>   at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .connector
> .deployment.ResourceRefBuilder.buildNaming(ResourceRefBuilder.java:
> 127)
>   at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .j2ee
> .deployment
> .NamingBuilderCollection.buildNaming(NamingBuilderCollection.java:53)
>   at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .openejb
> .deployment.EjbDeploymentBuilder.addEnc(EjbDeploymentBuilder.java:321)
>   at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .openejb
> .deployment.EjbDeploymentBuilder.buildEnc(EjbDeploymentBuilder.java:
> 292)
>   at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .openejb.deployment.EjbModuleBuilder.addGBeans(EjbModuleBuilder.java:
> 764)
>   at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .j2ee
> .deployment
> .EARConfigBuilder.buildConfiguration(EARConfigBuilder.java:647)
>   at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:254)
>   ... 12 more
>
> My question is, can anyone give me some ideas on how to track down a
> vague, non-descript, error such as this?

What I do is look at the source code.

Googling ResourceRefBuilder yields a commit email which leads to e.g.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/geronimo/server/trunk/plugins/connector/geronimo-connector-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/connector/deployment/ResourceRefBuilder.java?annotate=651684

Modifying this to the 2.1.3 branch yields
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/geronimo/server/tags/2.1.3/plugins/connector/geronimo-connector-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/connector/deployment/ResourceRefBuilder.java?annotate=651684

which despite the wrong rev id seems to show the correct source.

  Line 127 is

	 String type = resourceRef.getResType().getStringValue().trim();

which makes me guess that you've left out the res-type from your
resource-ref.

May not be completely ideal but this process usually works for me.

thanks
david jencks