geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Deploying Spring applications in Geronimo - State of the nation
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:46:04 GMT

On Oct 29, 2008, at 5:03 AM, huntc wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am now at the stage where I would like to deploy my Apache Camel/
> Spring
> based application and I am also excited at the prospect of using
> Geronimo.
> The application presently manifests itself as a JAR file with a main
> entry
> point passing control to a spring application context.
>
> I am finding it very difficult to understand what the status of
> being able
> to deploy Spring based applications in Geronimo is. It appears that
> this
> cannot be done unless you roll your own GBean. Is this the case?

That's correct.
It would be pretty easy to write a generic spring application gbean
but AFAIK no one has done it.  In fact we could write a spring
deployer that recognized spring apps and set up the gbean for you.

My assumption in the past has been that usually you'll want to do a
little extra work to connect your spring app to the geronimo
environment and so I haven't pursued this.  Two examples of spring
apps are the directory and james plugins (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins/

).

I'd advise following the model of these plugins and having (using
maven):
- a java project for the gbean
- a plugin project that builds a geronimo plugin that contains the
gbean and pulls in all your dependencies
- a custom server project that assembles a server including your
plugin and whatever else you want for testing.

thanks
david jencks