geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Geronimo and Grails
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:08:14 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>

>> I've been playing around with grails and I encountered this exact same
>> behavior Michael mentioned.  Even with Gianny's recommended hidden
>> classes I received the dom4j InvalidXPathException on the Tomcat
>> Javaee5 assembly.
>>
>> I was able to get a grails app working on a tomcat javaee5 assembly by
>> adding just one more filter for the jaxen classes.  So, my
>> geroniom-web.xml looks like this:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-1.2">
>>    <environment xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2">
>>        <moduleId>
>>            <groupId>yourGroupId</groupId>
>>            <artifactId>yourArtifactId</artifactId>
>>            <version>yourVersion</version>
>>            <type>war</type>
>>        </moduleId>
>>        <hidden-classes>
>>            <filter>org.jaxen</filter>
>>            <filter>org.springframework</filter>
>>            <filter>org.apache.cxf</filter>
>>            <filter>org.apache.commons</filter>
>>        </hidden-classes>
>>    </environment>
>>    <context-root>/yourContextPath/</context-root>
>> </web-app>
>>
>> BTW, it is true that you can deploy a grails app into either minimal
>> assembly without any hidden-class filters in the deployment plan.  The
>> additional libraries in the javaee5 assemblies make the filters
>> necessary.  Apparently there are some classloader differences between
>> the Jetty and Tomcat assemblies that make the jaxen addition necessary
>> when deploying to a Tomcat Javaee5 server.
>
> It would be nice to figure out what the differences are.  My first guess
> would be myfaces, my second some web services bit.  I think that a
> ModuleBuilderExtension must be adding more dependencies for no good
> reason.  It would be even better to fix this.

I think your second guess is the right one.  A little more investigation
revealed that the only real hidden-classes entries needed are as follows:
- springframework  - when installing in a javaee5 jetty assembly
- jaxen - when installing in a javaee5 tomcat assembly

That's because our axis2 module includes a dependency on jaxen and our
cxf module includes a dependency on spring.

I'm now experimenting to see if these dependencies are really necessary.
  If they are, then the next step is to recall how to exclude these
dependencies from the default-environment when being processed by the
axis2 and cxf builders.

Joe