geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: I need a Servlet to be started when the web container is starting
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:16:13 GMT

On Oct 13, 2008, at 9:50 AM, Juan David wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have a problem to set up a framework application on Geronimo. I
> need a
> Servlet to be started when the web container is starting.
>
> As I previously did this configuration on Tomcat y try to add the
> Servlet
> definition on installDir\var\catalina\conf\web.xml and it loads the
> Servlet
> the problem is that the servlet has dependency classes and does not
> found
> them on runtime. I try to add the jar containing the classes to
> installDir\var\shared\lib and did not work.
>
> What is the right way to accomplish this?
>
> Is there a default application like in OAS or Tomcat?
> Do I have to add my own module to Geronimo (If so can you give me some
> directions?)
> The stack trace says that the class can not be found on
> Tomcat6/2.0.1/car do
> I have to add the dependence on that module for the dependent jars?
> (how can
> I do that?)
>
> Module 14/37 org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.0.1/car
> 13:59:43,750 ERROR [Digester] End event threw exception
>
> ….
> Caused by:
> java.lang.RuntimeException:
> suramericana.swb.environment.InitContainerProperties in classloader
> org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.0.1/car
> 	at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .tomcat
> .GeronimoStandardContext.addChild(GeronimoStandardContext.java:267)
> 	... 71 more
> Caused by:
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> suramericana.swb.environment.InitContainerProperties in classloader
> org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.0.1/car

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this servlet?  There
may be a better way to do this in geronimo.

I can't keep track of how tomcat starts.  There might be a default
application with a configuration under var/tomcat.

If this default application actually exists and you decide adding your
servlet to it is the best way to proceed then the most controllable
way to proceed is to build a replacement tomcat plugin that includes
your jar as an additional dependency.  You should upgrade to g. 2.1.3
and copy the source plugins/tomcat/tomcat6 module, alter the
artifactId, include your jar as a maven dependency, and add an
artifact-alias so your tomcat assembly will replace the normal one.

If you need some code to execute before your actual apps start you
could write a gbean to execute the code and deploy it in a plugin that
depends on the tomcat plugin.  If your apps depend on this service
plugin it is sure to get started before the apps.

If you need this code to execute before any connectors start you might
be able to include it in one of the apps and use the techniques shown
in the app-per-port sample to start the connectors after your app.

thanks
david jencks