geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: How to define a new WorkManager?
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 22:12:52 GMT

On Oct 23, 2008, at 2:55 PM, cj91 wrote:

> Geronimo 2.1.3
> Searched far and wide for this, and it seems like geronimo has
> support, but
> I can't figure out where to do this at.
> I see there's a "Thread Pools" link on the server console, but I
> don't see
> an option to create a new thread pool or a WorkManager. Where can I
> define a
> new work manager and give it a jndi name?

AFAIK you can't do this from the console.

You need to include gbean definitions similar to this in an
appropriate plan:

     <gbean name="ConnectorThreadPool"
         <attribute name="keepAliveTime">30000</attribute>
         <attribute name="minPoolSize">5</attribute>
         <attribute name="maxPoolSize">30</attribute>
         <attribute name="poolName">ConnectorThreadPool</attribute>

     <gbean name="MyWorkManager"
         <reference name="SyncPool">
         <reference name="StartPool">
         <reference name="ScheduledPool">
         <reference name="TransactionManager">

and make sure the plan has the transaction plugin as a direct or
transitive dependency so the TransactionManager reference can be

The default work manager is not exposed via jndi.  If you want to
expose yours you'd include a gbean something like this:

     <gbean name="TransactionManagerBinding"
         <attribute name="name">MyWorkManager</attribute>
         <attribute name="abstractNameQuery">?name= MyWorkManager#</
         <reference name="Context">

in which case is should be available at ger:/MyWorkManager

AFAIK no one has done this before.... I'm a bit curious as to your use
case and why you need it in jndi.

david jencks