geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: shared libraries in the OAS way
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:22:57 GMT

On Oct 13, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Juan David wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I would like to know how to accomplish shared libraries in the OAS
> way on
> Geronimo.
>
> What I mean by OAS way is the possibility to define a shared library
> that
> holds some jars and also can define dependencies with some other
> libraries.
> It is also possible to define a default set of dependencies for the
> applications (by adding a dependency to the default application), so
> every
> application deployed will have a set of dependent jars by default. The
> application can remove any dependency on the deployment plan and the
> administrator can change de dependency for all application without
> the need
> to have new deployments plans for every application and redeploy.

While sharedlib might give you a quick solution it won't help track
what depends on what.  I'd be leery of having classpath changes not
reflected in the deployed artifacts.

You can define "classloader" plugins that simply have a list of
dependencies and no services.  These dependencies can be jars or other
plugins: the classloaders (and plugins) form a directed acyclic
graph.  Your app can depend on one of these "classloader" plugins and
get this classloader as a parent.

I'd recommend changing the version on such a plugin every time you
change the contents and using artifact-aliases and the "obsoletes"
element to have each new version replace its predecessors.  This will
give you fairly transparent auditing of exactly what jars your apps
are using.

thanks
david jencks