geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Transaction Support in Geronimo
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 17:49:03 GMT

On Sep 1, 2008, at 6:35 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2008, at 5:59 PM, Juergen Weber wrote:
>

>> What is the state of Transaction Support in Geronimo? Are
>> distributed (XA)
>> transactions supported, too?
>> Googling for geronimo transaction site:apache.org did not give a good
>> result.
>
> Yes, they are supported -- it's a requirement of the EE 5
> specification.

Maybe the terminology is not too clear.... distributed transactions
are not supported in geronimo.

xa -- one transaction can involve many resource managers (databases,
jms, EIS, etc etc) but (unless distributed) only one server involved.
This is supported.

distributed -- in addition, work is done within one transaction on
several servers.  One way to implement this is to treat all but the
first servers as resource managers from the point of view of the
server that starts the transaction.

Geronimo supports xa but we have no way to communicate the transaction
context between geronimo instances.  It wouldn't be too hard but we
haven't done it.

thanks
david jencks