geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: best way to deploy when in development
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:02:34 GMT

On Sep 11, 2008, at 4:46 AM, Marco Laponder wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am wondering if the current setup for my development environment is
> optimal. I have a maven project with all the relevant resource for mu
> EAR containing a WAR.
>
> When I want to test my changes, I package a new war and ear, and use
> the
> deployer to deploy my new ear with Geronimo. Are the better solutions
> than this configuration ? Can I configure Geronimo to use a directory
> structure which contains my unzipped ear and war e.g. ?

Since you are using maven I strongly suggest you set up a workflow as
sort of documented here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/constructing-a-special-purpose-server-using-maven.html

Basically, add some stuff to your maven build tthat:
1. builds geronimo plugins for each of your applications
2. assembles a geronimo server including your apps.

you can then run automated integration tests on your app using e.g.
selenium.

Another option is to deploy your apps using the geronimo-maven-plugin
to an already running server as is done in the testsuite.  I don't
like this quite as much since there is a greater chance of
contamination from a previous version of you app that might not have
gotten completely uninstalled: however if you are not installing
anything to var its unlikely you would run into this kind of problem.

thanks
david jencks