geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Simon Aquilina <sim...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: J2EE Connector 1.5 Specification
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:03:25 GMT

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. I started reading the J2EE Connector 1.5 Specification yesterday and
hope this will help me to better understand how J2EE connectors work and thus use the maximum
out of them :)

To say the truth I am interested in building a connector which is able to receive inbound
and send outbound messages; in other words a remote client would be able to establish a connection
and send messages to an EIS deployed on the application server and the EIS would (also) be
able to establish a connection and send messages to the remote client. When I started developing
my connector for Tomcat I was trying to achieve this. Due to my (lack) of experiance I thought
this was not part of the J2EE connector specification; now that I read the documentation it
seems it is.

My main aim is to find an application server which I can use as the base for any network solution
I want to develop (not only web applications).

When I developed small network applications I realised that most of the time all my client/server
application work exactly in the same way and very similar to how a web/application server
works. However, since I mostly developed web applications, I thought that web/application
servers could only handle inbound messages (this was before I read the first chapters of the
J2EE connector specification). For this reason I tried to develop a protocol handler on Tomcat
that was able to estable a connection with a remote client and thus make it able to handle
inbound and outbound messages. Then after hitting a brick wall with Tomcat I did some more
research and found Geronimo. I want to continue on Geronimo now; also because it is highly
modularised which I like.

The sceanrio I have in mind is as follows:

Client (A) --[send message]--> EIS --[send messages]--> Client (B) --[send confirm message]-->
EIS --[send confirm message]--> Client A

This means that asynchronus communication would be a very intresting concept :)

I do not have a dead line for this; for me the most important thing is to learn. So feel free
to suggest any reading. I am also happy to read example code since I feel this helps me better
to understand how things work :)

Thanks again,
Simon J.