geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse Utility Projects with 2.1.2
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:54:20 GMT

On Sep 11, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Kory Markevich wrote:

> Well, Eclipse assists by having utility projects.  From the WTP
> documentation:
>

> An enterprise application can contain utility JAR files that are to
> be used
> by the contained modules. This allows sharing of code at the
> application
> level by multiple Web, EJB, or application client modules. These JAR
> files
> are commonly referred to as utility JAR files. The utility JAR files
> defined
> for an enterprise application project can be actual JAR files in the
> project, or you can include utility Java projects that are
> designated to
> become the utility JAR files during assembly and deployment.

Do you have any idea what that means in non-eclipse-speak?  To me it
means nothing :-(

in ee-land, you can have jars in an ear that are in the classpath of
everything in the ear (typically by putting them in the lib/ dir of
the ear).  Does this have anything to do with eclipse utility jars?

> So it sounds to me that having the geronimo-service.xml in such
> projects in
> the first place was a mistake, as these projects are not meant to be
> deployed by themselves.  I don't think the JIRA Tim mentioned should
> have
> removed support for utility projects altogether, just geronimo-
> service.xml.
> Now I know that geronimo has it's own robust module support, but since
> that's not exposed to Eclipse directly I'd like to use utility
> projects.
> Should I create a JIRA to get this support back in?

I'd prefer to understand what is meant by a utility module better
before saying anything.

thanks
david jencks