geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Include samples into Geronimo download packages
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 15:31:10 GMT
Juergen,

Thanks for being vocal about samples.  This is definitely an area that
needs some love in Geronimo.

Juergen Weber wrote:
> Creating or modifying deployment plans is quite often a real nightmare.
> Usually you try to find a sample to adopt from. If only the samples were
> current ..

Is there a particular sample that you are having problems with that is
not current?  I believe that all of the 2.1 samples currently build and
can be deployed into a Geronimo 2.1.2 server.   There are a few that
still need to be validated and updated ... but most are functional.  No
doubt that we are long overdue in getting these released.

> So I suggest to include all samples (from
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSAMPLES/index.html) that are supposed to run on
> a given Geronimo version in the archive of the Geronimo distribution itself
> or in an archive immediately beside it (right now there is a Download Sample
> applications link, but it does not point to a sample.tar.gz as the title
> hints).

I personally agree and had proposed that we release samples with each
server release.  However I could not gain consensus on this and there
are some valid reasons to release samples independently and less often:
- First, samples should not require major updates for minor Geronimo
releases.  So ideally, we would like to release samples a Geronimo 2.2
release and have them work without change in Geronimo 2.2.1.  We feel
that this is what users will be doing with most applications and this
can also help us validate compatibility between maintenance releases.
- Achieving compatibility has required some fixes and such.  At the
moment we are planning to release samples that require Geronimo 2.1.2.
We have already validated that these samples will install and function
on an upcoming Geronimo 2.1.3 release.
- Due to the modifications required for this we are not planning to
release samples for anything prior to Geronimo 2.1.2