geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: J2EE Connector 1.5 Specification
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:09:33 GMT

On Sep 24, 2008, at 5:36 AM, Simon Aquilina wrote:

> Hi Juergen,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply. That is very similar to what I want to
> try and achieve and the concept is very similar to the one I was
> trying to achieve on Tomcat! Is there something like this provided
> by the Apache Software Foundation?

Based on the level of writing in the documentation I would be careful
using txconnect. I only looked at the documentation for a couple
minutes.  While I did not see any of the glaring errors I usually find
in j2ca projects it looks to me as if there were quite a few
misleading statements.

If you are looking for a framework for building outbound j2ca
connectors, there is also the codehaus tranql project which is under
asl 2.0.  Geronimo ships with the tranql db adapters to provide jdbc
connectivity.

However, based on your original attempt to do something related to a
tomcat http connector I really doubt you are interested in an outbound
connector, which is designed to let your server program connect to
other programs such as a database, SAP, CICS, etc as a client.

You might possibly be interested in a j2ca inbound connector.  The
standard example of these is a jms implementation supplying messages
to mdbs.

Perhaps you could explain what you are trying to do:

- what the source of messages is
- what transport and protocol they travel over
- what the consumer of the messages is
- whether the communication is synchronous (message receiver sends a
reply back to the message sender) or asynchronous (no reply to
messages, such as with MOM or jms)
- which role(s) your server program will be playing
- how many clients, servers, and messages you want to handle

thanks
david jencks