geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Juergen Weber <webe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: J2EE Connector 1.5 Specification
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:46:35 GMT

djencks wrote:

> In my experience j2ca outbound connectors are mostly useful when you
> need to communicate with a system you have little control over such as
> an existing database or messaging system.  If you are writing both the
> client and server there is almost always a more convenient, flexible,
> and easier solution.

Isn't the idea of using a connector to embed the communication better in the
app server and give the appserver control? As I understand for inbound
communication the recomended way is to use a resource adapter together with
an MDB:
http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=MonsonHaefel-Column6

As for outbound, I don't know, what is better, direct socket communication
from an EJB or using a resource adapter. The latter seems to be more under
control of the appserver.
I still like very much the idea of a resource adapter framework like
txconnect that allows you to easily plug-in your own low-lovel socket
communication. I found it very easy to create a client for the Unix datetime
service (see my posting
https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2284014&forum_id=641849).

Unfortunately I only could get txconnect to work with Weblogic server, not
Geronimo (see my posting on dev).

Maybe an Apache project for a resource adapter framework were the right
solution ...

Greetings,
Juergen