geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kory Markevich <Kory_Markev...@ACL.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse Utility Projects with 2.1.2
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 18:11:16 GMT

Sure.  Basically you can include static jars in any web/connector/application
project, but that means that if you need to modify the code in that jar you
need to go through a manual compile and update step.  So instead of using a
static jar you create a utility project and reference that in any other
project that would have used the jar.  When Eclipse does it's automatic
compiling and publishing, the contents of the utility project become a jar
in the war/ear/rar as desired.

I can't tell you the exact way it bundles everything into the EAR though as
the only server I have installed is geronimo.

So my plan was to use a utility project for the custom login module code,
and to put the gbean specific stuff in the geronimo-application.xml.  I
think I can workaround this by putting the code into an EJB project, but
it's not as clean as there will be extra EJB baggage involved.

Going back to my last message, I don't think WTP has a concept to map to
geronimo-service (though I'm no WTP expert) while utility projects are
really just the Eclipse way to organize non-static jar's for an ear/war.