Yes, I did think about doing my own server assembly, seemed to be an option based on the release notes I’d seen for 2.1, but I was hoping to get things up and running first and then look at cutting back after that, mostly because, as you say, it’s another thing to learn.  ;)

I’ll see if I can make it happen with a system property first, but if that fails, or looks like it might be as much work as figuring out how to make my own assembly, I might just do that.  Thanks.

From: David Jencks [mailto:david_jencks@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:08 PM
To: user@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Maven Plugin and Changing Ports

On Aug 14, 2008, at 9:32 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:

Look at plugins\corba\j2ee-corba-yoko\pom.xml .  You can modify <config-substitution key="COSNamingPort">1050</config-substitution> to include your own port number so that the binaries you build will use that port number you specify.

I don't think that will work because the value is overridden in the config.xml snippet in geronimo-plugin.xml generated from the pom and the value ends up getting set from the var/config/config-substitutions.properties file.

From your first post I suspect you might want a lighter-weight server than full geronimo.  You might consider assembling your own server with just the bits you need, just like we do :-)  In this case you can change the port value by including a plugin that only has the overriding value in the geronimo-plugin.xml.

If you don't want to learn how to assemble your own server just yet you can also override the value on the geronimo command line; I think its possible to do this through the g-m-p but I'm not sure how.

You'd need the equivalent of -Dorg.apache.geronimo.config.substitution.prefix.COSNamingPort=1051

You might also be able to set an environment property to make this work.

Hope this helps

david jencks

++Vamsi