On Aug 14, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Luciano Salotto wrote:

David
Thanks for your quick replay,

It is very definitely used.  Deployment in geronimo consists of translating whatever deployment plans (javaee spec dds, annotations, geronimo service plans, etc) into geronimo service component  (gbean) descriptors (GBeanData) and serializing them into the config.ser file.  When you start a plugin (module) the config.ser is deserialized and the components configured and started.

Ok, then how is it possible that I sent a config.ser from a very different isntallation, and it worked well?

random accident? :-)
Will config.ser change if the EAR structure is different or could I just have it create once and then leave it as it is for ever?

Most application configuration changes would result in config.ser changes.  For instance adding or removing an ejb would add or remove a gbean from the configuration.  Changing something in web.xml or ejb-jar.xml or the geronimo or openejb plans would result in a change.  Changing the code inside one of your components (servlet, ejb) without changing the ejb interface should not result in a change.

I definitely would not advise trying to work around the deployment process.

Tomcat doesn't fit all that well into this idea and the main tomcat application gbean includes the web.xml as a data element.

That will explain the web.xml like entries in the config.ser.

FWIW I'd suggest you look into the custom server assembly features using maven and the car-maven-plugin available in the latest was ce (and geronimo 2.1 and later).  I'm not familiar with  exactly what comes with was ce but using geronimo I'd assemble a custom server directly, something like what is outlined here:

We can't use that since we are working on WASCE 2.0, when I heard of that functionality of 2.1 I wanted to move to that version, but we are too close to deliver data for such a change, anyways many thanks for your suggestion

You still might be able to script deploying/undeploying your application using the geronimo-maven-plugin if you are OK with use of maven.

thanks
david jencks

Thanks again for all your help!

Luciano