geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Is config.ser ever used??
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:52:31 GMT

On Aug 14, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Luciano Salotto wrote:

> We are working on creating an 'image' of WASCE (2.0), with the
> application already bundled. Initially we have a clean install of
> WASCE and deploy the application to it, then upload that to a server
> for the end user to download and use locally. We don't want to do
> that on every code change, so we just replace the corresponding
> modified (or add the new) jar in the expanded EAR structure in the
> repository entry. On a full repository entry change (means we
> created the full expanded EAR structure and replace that in the
> server) we had failures saying that the application couldn't be
> found. That's when knew about this config.ser, config.sha1 and
> config.id files.
> What I did then, was to hand over the files of another WASCE local
> installation I have (I had deployed the application through the
> Eclipse plugin, so that generated those files), to my surprise that
> made the application work, even though we all have very different
> install directories (I can see in the config.ser that there is a
> part that looks like the web.xml that has a context parameter
> refering to my local install) and mostly what surprised me is that
> my workspace was outdated, meaning that the EAR that was generated
> for the server version had more jars than my local one.
>
> That made me think about the question on the subject.. is the
> config.ser ever used at all? or just some code checking that the
> serialization file is there?

It is very definitely used.  Deployment in geronimo consists of
translating whatever deployment plans (javaee spec dds, annotations,
geronimo service plans, etc) into geronimo service component  (gbean)
descriptors (GBeanData) and serializing them into the config.ser
file.  When you start a plugin (module) the config.ser is deserialized
and the components configured and started.

Tomcat doesn't fit all that well into this idea and the main tomcat
application gbean includes the web.xml as a data element.

FWIW I'd suggest you look into the custom server assembly features
using maven and the car-maven-plugin available in the latest was ce
(and geronimo 2.1 and later).  I'm not familiar with  exactly what
comes with was ce but using geronimo I'd assemble a custom server
directly, something like what is outlined here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/constructing-a-special-purpose-server-using-maven.html

thanks
david jencks