geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Blevins <>
Subject Re: Is not supported by remote interface??
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2008 22:05:30 GMT

On Aug 1, 2008, at 12:18 PM, rbaumhof wrote:

> Hello at Geronimo,
> i have a fine working geronimo web application. All calls from
> tomcat are
> passed to the ejb container by local interfaces. Now i want to
> create for
> special users a second java swing application. This of course works
> with
> remote interfaces. Most calls towards the new remote interfaces
> (which are
> identical to the local interfaces) are working, but some of them
> don't work
> because the data objects returned from the ejb container have
> properties. It seems that they can not be passed over the remote
> interface.
> Error message:
> Exception on login:Unknown Container Exception:
> java.rmi.RemoteException:
> Cannot read the response from the server.  The class for an object
> being
> returned is not located in this system:; nested exception is:
> 	java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> If i omit the objects the service call succeds. I am
> surprised that this simple data type is not supported by the remote
> interfaces. Can i do anything to make it work??

Looks like OpenJPA is subclassing the java.util.Date class so what's
passed is actually not the simple data type you're expecting but
rather an instance of$util$Date$proxy,
whatever that is.  It looks like a dynamically generated class, which
could be tricky.

Anyone from the OpenJPA crowd know which jars might have to be
included in the client classpath to deserialize a$util$Date$proxy?

Also, have you ever considered using a writeReplace method in the$util$Date$proxy class so that it can be
swapped out for a plain java.util.Date instance upon serialization?

View raw message