geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Monitoring Memory Usage
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:01:27 GMT

On Aug 13, 2008, at 12:55 PM, Peter L. Berghold wrote:

> Peter L. Berghold wrote:
>> Trygve Hardersen wrote:
>>> Sorry, it's java.lang.Runtime, no import needed :)
>>

> That's all well and good (and fun to play with) but I'm hoping to get
> the same info that the console gives you pictorially.
>
> I'm going to this effort because one of the web applications I'm
> running
> under Geronimo/Tomcat has a habit running out of memory (memory leak?)
> and Geronimo will exit without any error codes, log messages or
> anything
> else that would let me know why...
>
> Besides, I like being proactive.

If you're running out of memory, then recommend you use

export JAVA_OPTS="-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"

The JVM will automatically generate a heapdump on out of memory
conditions. These can then be analyzed by a number of tools to
determine the source of your problem. I can help you with this, if you
need...

I assume you're seeing infinitely increasing memory usage and this is
not simply a matter of bumping up your max heap or permgen memory.

--kevan