geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: DB pool from admin console looks wrong
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 19:15:38 GMT

On Aug 22, 2008, at 11:36 AM, devdev wrote:

> Thank you David.  Could you please clarify the following is correct.
>
> 1) I was under the impression that the JDBC is also using a connector
> underneath.

I don't understand what you are asking.  Geronimo provides jdbc
database pooling through the j2ca connector framework, and wrapping
jdbc drivers and datasources from db vendors with j2ca adapters from
the tranql project.

> 2) By JBDC you like like the JPA example from the tutorial at
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/using-java-persistence-api-in-application-client.html

I don't think I'd write this example this way.  It does not use any
javaee jpa support but only javase support.  In particular it does not
use and database connection pooling.  To get a similar example to work
with mysql you'd need to modify the persistence.xml properties to
point to the mysql database.

If I were to write a jpa app client example I would use injected
entity manager or entity manager factory and deploy a connection pool
on the app client and use it with the jta-datasource and/or non-jta-
datasource.  However I'm not sure anyone has done this and don't know
if there would be problems.

> 3) If using the connector, how would I get a EntityTransaction to
> start and
> commit a TXN.

The app client example isn't useing a connector.  However I think
there are methods on EntityManager to control jpa-mediated transactions.

I'm not sure I'm answering the questions you are asking but hopefully
this is of some help
david jencks