geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Luciano Salotto" <lsalo...@gmail.com>
Subject Is config.ser ever used??
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:12:14 GMT
We are working on creating an 'image' of WASCE (2.0), with the application
already bundled. Initially we have a clean install of WASCE and deploy the
application to it, then upload that to a server for the end user to download
and use locally. We don't want to do that on every code change, so we just
replace the corresponding modified (or add the new) jar in the expanded EAR
structure in the repository entry. On a full repository entry change (means
we created the full expanded EAR structure and replace that in the server)
we had failures saying that the application couldn't be found. That's when
knew about this config.ser, config.sha1 and config.id files.
What I did then, was to hand over the files of another WASCE local
installation I have (I had deployed the application through the Eclipse
plugin, so that generated those files), to my surprise that made the
application work, even though we all have very different install directories
(I can see in the config.ser that there is a part that looks like the
web.xml that has a context parameter refering to my local install) and
mostly what surprised me is that my workspace was outdated, meaning that the
EAR that was generated for the server version had more jars than my local
one.

That made me think about the question on the subject.. is the config.ser
ever used at all? or just some code checking that the serialization file is
there?

Thanks in advance

Luciano