geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Tim McConnell <tim.mcco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Patchy documentation, setup dev envirmonment on vista
Date Sat, 02 Aug 2008 00:19:45 GMT
Hi Thomas, I'm not exactly positive which documentation you're looking at, but if
you're trying to quickly establish your development environment using Eclipse I
would start here:

-----> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/quick-start-fast-and-easy-development.html

Also, since you're having some difficulties I would recommend you use the manual
steps throughout. For example you might use these steps below, which are entirely
manual.

1. Manually download and install the Sun JDK 5.0

2. Create a new Eclipse installation directory for yourself and then manually
download and install the Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers (either Europa or
Ganymede) into that new Eclipse installation directory.

3. Manually download and install the GEP from our unstable site
(http://people.apache.org/dist/geronimo/eclipse/unstable/2.1.2). Just unzip the
geronimo-eclipse-plugin-2.1.2-deployable.zip file into your new Eclipse
installation directory.

4. To verify that these steps have been successful, startup your new Eclipse
installation and from the workspace select "Help --> About Eclipse Platform". In
the panel that appears you will see anywhere from 4-6 Eclipse icons representing
the various Eclipse projects and/or components installed. You must also see the
Geronimo icon -- if not something has not been installed correctly. If the
Geronimo icon does not show up then please attach the .log file in the .metadata
directory of your workspace that you are using and we can probably figure out
what's wrong from it. If the Geronimo icon does appear that is a very good
indication that Eclipse and the GEP have been installed correctly, and you can
continue to the next step.

5. Manually download and install the Geronimo v2.1.1 with Tomcat like you did
before, just remember where you installed/unzipped it.

6. Define a new Geronimo server runtime as described in the document above, but
point to the directory you unzipped it in Step 5 above. If you get any errors
please copy/paste them in your reply.

7. Next, start the new Geronimo server as described in the document above. It
should start fine, but again if you get any errors please copy/paste them in your
reply.

8. Finally, if the Geronimo server starts up okay, then go through this tutorial.
It should work fine as well, but again if you get any errors please copy/past
them in your reply and also attach the .log file in the .metadata directory of
your workspace that you are using.

----->
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSAMPLES/5-minute-tutorial-on-enterprise-application-development-with-eclipse-and-geronimo.html

9. If you get this far, I would like to make changes to the corresponding
documentation that you feel is patchy, but first we need to know what specific
documentation you've been using.

Thanks and please let me know how it goes for you.

tpoth@gmfoto.de wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> i'm currently in an early phase of understanding Geronimo.
>
> You know
> I tried to ..., and i fail.
>
> The Documentaion doesen't help in this Situations.
> There are many step by step howto's, but they are so patchy.
>
> Example:
> I tried to Setup my Development Environment with Eclipse on a Windows
> Vista Business Box.
> The lates JDK's are installed on it.
>
> I downloaded the lates stable Geronimo v 2.1.1 with Tomcat JEE, there is
> no hint in the docu, that path langth must be ..., but i think it should
> be there.
>
> I downloaded the latest Eclipse "Ganymede" as JEE5 IDE as described, but
> when i'm trying to install the GEP it fails with dependencie errors.
>
> I downloaded the latest Eclipse "Europa" as JEE5 IDE as described, but
> when i'm trying to install the GEP it fails with dependencie errors.
> And be sure i tried all three ways, to get a Geronimo Server in Eclipse
> configured.
>

> I Don't want to post here all the beginners quests.
>
> Is there another source, to get all theses surly solved issues done?
>
> Is there an easy way to Setup my environment. Any Links?
>
> Best regards
>
> GM-Foto GmbH
> Thomas Poth
>
> IT-Manager
> Tel.: 0049-69-238570-0
> Fax: 0049-69-238570-30
> Mail: poth@gmfoto.de
> Web: www.gmfoto.de

> GM-Foto GmbH, Taunusstraße 47, D-60329 Frankfurt am Main
> Telefon: +49 69 238570-0, Telefax: +49 69 238570-30
> Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main: HRB 19494
> Geschäftsführer: Walter Adler und Harald Remsperger
>
> Öffnungszeiten: Montag - Freitag, 9:00 - 18:30 Uhr
>
> Internet: http://www.gmfoto.de <http://www.gmfoto.de/> , E-Mail:
> gmfoto@gmfoto.de

Thanks,
Tim McConnell