geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Blevins <>
Subject Re: Are J2EE 1.4 applications still supported?
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:33:26 GMT

On Aug 8, 2008, at 7:20 AM, weberj wrote:

> David Blevins wrote:
>> We definitely support those older descriptor formats.  We have some
>> fancy code in there so that if you don't supply the namespace we'll
>> guess it, but looks if the namespace was supplied we assume it's
>> right
>> -- i.e. we assume it's the current namespace.
>> Try updating this part of the openejb-jar.xml:
>>  xmlns:dep=""
>> to this:
>>  xmlns:dep=""
>> That should take care of it.
>> -David
> Thanks, that took care of this error, I also had to add a geronimo-
> ra.xml
> for tranql that was missing in the sample (and formerly was not
> necessary?).

I'm not sure what the author had intended.  If you have any updates,
I'll be happy to apply them.

> Kind of pity that older versions of deployment descriptors break
> application
> compatibility, couldn't newer versions of Geronimo still support the
> old
> descriptors?

As mentioned, we have a rather large amount of code for handling the
older versions of the deployment descriptors.  For openejb-jar.xml in
particular, this code includes a jaxb tree for the old schema, a jaxb
tree for the new schema, a bunch of code to dynamically convert the
old tree to the new three, and a fairly smart bit of code to update
the namespaces or correct them if they were left off.  You just
happened to find one that was overlooked.  The issue looks to be
specific to the openejb-jar.xml parsing, the parsing of the other
geronimo descriptors can handle that namespace just fine.

Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.  I've fixed it so it shouldn't be
an issue for the next release.

View raw message