geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Geoffrey Wiseman" <gwise...@feedroom.com>
Subject Geronimo Maven Plugin
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:34:34 GMT
I'd like to use Geronimo to run some integration tests in Maven that are
going to require a container and a message queue.

To that end, I briefly looked at Cargo, which I've used in the past, but
they seem to support 1.0.X, not even 1.1, let alone 2.X, so I decided
that was a little too far back, and I didn't really want to
upgrade/maintain the Cargo container definition, at least, not when I'm
fairly new to Geronimo.

That meant it was time to take a look at Geronimo-maven-plugin, which I
did, ran into some issues.

I searched the mailing list, but didn't find much recent traffic about
the plugin at all.  Either I'm incapable of running a good search, not
many people are using the plugin lately, they're discussing it somewhere
else, or they're not running into the problems I'm having, I'm not sure
which.

Either way, I'd like to clarify some points, so if there's a better
place to discuss this, let me know.  In short:

*         What's a good, working configuration for a relatively current
Maven to get a J2EE Geronimo up and running?

*         Should I use org.apache.geronimo.plugins or
org.apache.geronimo.buildsupport?

*         Do the plugin version and assembly version need to be in sync,
and do they correspond to the version of Geronimo that I'm getting?

*         If not:

o   What version of the plugin should I use?

o   What assembly and assembly version should I use?

I ran into a bunch of issues, I think many of which were related to the
fact that the example in the documentation pointed me at some elements
that aren't incredibly up-to-date (old plugin groupid, old assembly
artifactids) and I ended up with assemblies and plugins at different
version numbers, which I suspect is a problem, although I haven't yet
gotten any combination working.

If the assembly and plugin don't need to be in sync, then I can report a
whack of issues that you might encounter when they aren't in sync.

Now that I've found higher version numbers and more combinations, I'm
going to keep trying, and I may find something that works, but pointers
to a working config would probably help as well.