Hi Pete,

If you ping whine now, does it resolve to localhost? If it does, then the DNS record is fine and something might be wrong with the geronimo config.

I'm not totally sure as well, but if your DNS is being governed on etc/hosts/ after a restart of the service - I believe your (local) dns entries should be in effect immediately?

Hopefully this will help rule out whether its DNS or geronimo.

Hope this helps,
Joseph Leong