geronimo-user mailing list archives

From DFr...@teamhuber.com
Subject Re: Does the pool handle stale connections?
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:15:46 GMT
Created as https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4222

Thanks!

- David Frahm

From:
Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com>
To:
user@geronimo.apache.org
Date:
07/30/2008 09:51 AM
Re: Does the pool handle stale connections?

On Jul 30, 2008, at 9:13 AM, DFrahm@teamhuber.com wrote:

I have frequent trouble with my database pool to an AS/400.  The database
is taken down every night for backup, and at least once a week the
connection pool is unusable after the database comes back up.  Restarting
the connection pool makes everything work again.

We are new to Geronimo -- just this one app on one server -- so I don't
have anything to compare to.  However, we have had this same issue with a
couple 1.x versions before we upgraded to v2.

I had planned to do more troubleshooting before posting this, but since
its already a topic I thought I'd go ahead.  It easily could be a
configuration issue, although there are several WebSphere apps that do not
have this trouble.

Configuration Info
Driver: JTOpen v6.1 (com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver)
Pool Min Size: 0
Pool Max Size: 100
Blocking Timeout: 5000
Idle Timeout: 15

Thanks for the info David. Which version of V2 Geronimo are you using?
Sounds like we have a problem. If either you or swisst could open a Jira (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO) , that would be great.

If you're able to do some troubleshooting, that would be awesome.
Otherwise, any instructions (application, plans, etc) on how to reproduce
the problem would be much appreciated. We'll eyeball the timeout code,
maybe it's something obvious.

I'm not very hopeful, but a Thread dump of the java process might prove
useful (e.g. kill -3 <pid>). Heh. Actually, I'm a bit less than hopeful,
no harm though...

--kevan