geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Day Trader deploy Cloudscape issues: "can't resolve admin object ref"
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2008 22:27:11 GMT

On Jul 7, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:46 PM, David Jencks
> <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I no longer think its a good idea
>> to include the database and activemq configuration directly in the
>> ear.
>
> Why is so? Could you elaborate? I've been a great fan of using bundled
> plan from the very first day of its inception. Is it because an admin
> may not notice them and his/her server becomes out of his/her control?

What I think is current geronimo best practice for developing a
production ee application would be a development "pipeline" something
like this:

- development stage outputs the application as one or more plugins,
together with supporting db, mq, mail, etc plugins for the other
stages, and assembles these plugins into custom servers
- qa gets a server that has the same application plugins as production
will get, but with modified db/mq/ other "connector" plugins to fit
into the test environment.  These are swapped for the production
"connector" plugins using artifact aliases.
- production gets a server that has the same application plugins as qa
got but with connector plugins that attach to the production db, mq
broker, etc etc.

I think this minimizes the chance of unexpected differences between qa
and production environments.  If you put the connector configuration
in  the main app plan, you either have to modify the plan between qa
and production or be restricted to what you can change using config-
substitutions.propertes.

Also, if you have a "family" of applications, most likely they will be
using the same connections to the environment so it would make sense
to put those connections in separate plugins rather than one
particular application.

If your goal is to provide a sample that has only one artifact, rather
than pointing out (what I think are) best practices, then putting
everything in one plan definitely makes sense.  I no longer think that
is very important now that the plugins work fairly well.  Or, I'd say
the appropriate artifact now is a custom server with the application
pre-deployed.

thanks
david jencks