geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <>
Subject Re: Catalina error: out of memory
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:35:23 GMT

On Jul 12, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Peter L. Berghold wrote:

> Tim McConnell wrote:
>> -Xms256m -Xmx256m
> Thanks for the pointer. I've implemented this suggestion thusly:
> JPDA_OPTS="-Xdebug -Xms256m -Xmx256m
> -
> -Xrunjdwp:transport=$JPDA_TRANSPORT,address=
> $JPDA_ADDRESS,server=y,suspend=$JPDA_SUSPEND"
> Is there a point of diminishing returns on these values?  I'm actually
> running three separate web apps (websites) on the same server so I
> want
> to make sure they are not being starved for memory.

How big are your apps? Are you running out of heap memory or permgen
memory (assuming you're on a Sun VM). Are you deploying/undeploying

Also, are you debugging the server/your applications? If not, then
there's no reason to be running with JPDA.

If you're using the script to start Geronimo. I'd:

export JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m"
./ run

JAVA_OPTS would alter both 'run' and 'jpda run'. So, works in either

There are a couple of ways to monitor memory usage. One is to use the
Server Information portlet on the admin console e.g.:

This will only monitor server heap memory.

Alternatively, have the JVM dump memory usage statistics:

export JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -verbose:gc -XX:
+PrintGCDetails -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"

Assuming you're running a Sun VM, this will dump detailed GC
statistics to STDOUT. The -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError parm will
cause a heap dump to be generated if an OOM error occurs. This can be
used for post-mortem analysis by a number of tools.

View raw message