geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Josef.Eis...@bgs-ag.de
Subject Antwort: Re: Error with openjpa in geronimo under PostgreSQL
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:05:02 GMT
Hi Rick,

yes I would translate the error with the same words "Value too long for
type character varying(120)".

The missing S is a CopyPaste-Error, sorry for that. I changed datatype up
to varchar(200) and I got always the same error. Using the database-Tool
pgAdmin III of PostgreSQL I can type in data up to the defined max-value
(here: 200). And I can read the data with my application running under
Geronimo 2.1.1 and OpenJPA.

It is a problem of storage under the described conditions. Insert and
Update work only up to max. 120 characters.

David

Rick McGuire <rickmcg@gmail.com>
12.06.2008 17:10
Bitte antworten an
user@geronimo.apache.org

An
user@geronimo.apache.org
Kopie

Thema
Re: Error with openjpa in geronimo under PostgreSQL

Josef.Eisele@bgs-ag.de wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm quite sure that I found a bug in Geronimo, or as I assumed
> openjpa. Therefore I created an JIRA-Issue under
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-627.
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-627>
> But nothing happens. No Votes, no Watchers....
>
> I retested functionality using openejb embedded in Eclipse with
> openjpa Version 1.1.0 but I still get the same error:
>
> I receive Errors when I try to persist Data:
>
> public class PasswortregelPAO implements Serializable {
> @Column(name="passwort_aufbau")
> private String passwortAufbau;
> entityManager.persist(pao);
>
> on DB-Fields with Definitions >= VARCHAR(170)
>
> ALTER TABLE vesuv.passwortregel DROP COLUMN passwort_aufbau;
> ALTER TABLE vesuv.passwortregel ADD COLUMN paswort_aufbau varchar(170);
> ALTER TABLE vesuv.passwortregel ALTER COLUMN passwort_aufbau SET
> STORAGE EXTEND;
>

> LOG:
> Caused by: org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.ReportingSQLException: FEHLER:
> Wert zu lang fr Typ character varying(120) {prepstmnt 32613590 INSERT
> INTO vesuv.protokoll_info (id, attribut, entitaet_id, entitaetstyp,
> wert_alt, wert_neu, protokoll_eintrag_fk) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)
> [params=(long) 239, (String) passwort_aufbau, (long) 24, (String)
> PASSWORTREGEL, (String) , (String)
> dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd...,

> (long) 128]} [code=0, state=22001]
>
> With any size bigger than 170, I got the same error "FEHLER: Wert zu
> lang fr Typ character varying(120) ".
My German is a little rusty, but I believe the error message is saying
"Value too long for type character varying(120)", correct?

Did you copy-and-paste the ALTER TABLE statements above directly into
your email?  There appears to be a missing "s" in the name in the "ADD
COLUMN" statement, which might explain why the type is showing up as
character varying(120) in the error message.  Though why it would still
work with values up to 160 is a mystery.

If that's just a typo, then it might be a character encoding issue.  I'm
not sure how PostgreSQL stores the strings, but if it's using something
like UTF-8, then a 161 character string might require more than 170
characters to store in the column.  Have you tried defining the column
size greater than 170?

Rick