geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance problem with Geronimo (2.1) / Entity Manager
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:46:33 GMT

On Jun 13, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Beniamin Mazan wrote:

> Hi
> My application listens for requests incoming via WebServices and then
> processes it by sending something to JMS and database (postgres) in
> XA -
> transaction.
> I've noticed that after processing some thousands transactions - the
> time
> required to finish transaction is being risen. I've looked to log
> and found
> that in this case time is consumed by EM for execution of method
> .remove(entity). After all geronimo stops responding for web
> requests and
> need `kill -9` to shut down.
>
> What does go wrong ?

Hi Beniamin,
Sounds like we've got a memory leak...

Is this G 2.1.1?
Do you have a sample app that can demonstrate the problem?
Do you have the stack trace for the remove(entity) call, that you're
observing?
Running with the following JAVA_OPTS should yield additional info...

JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -verbose:gc -XX:
+PrintGCDetails -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"

Set the heap and permgen sizes as appropriate to your application
environment. The smaller the better... The PrintGCDetails will
indicate if we losing memory. If you are running out of memory, a heap
dump which we can use to help diagnose.

--kevan