geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Error with openjpa in geronimo under PostgreSQL
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:09:54 GMT
Josef.Eisele@bgs-ag.de wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm quite sure that I found a bug in Geronimo, or as I assumed
> openjpa. Therefore I created an JIRA-Issue under
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-627.
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-627>
> But nothing happens. No Votes, no Watchers....
>
> I retested functionality using openejb embedded in Eclipse with
> openjpa Version 1.1.0 but I still get the same error:
>
> I receive Errors when I try to persist Data:
>
> public class PasswortregelPAO implements Serializable {
> @Column(name="passwort_aufbau")
> private String passwortAufbau;
> entityManager.persist(pao);
>
> on DB-Fields with Definitions >= VARCHAR(170)
>
> ALTER TABLE vesuv.passwortregel DROP COLUMN passwort_aufbau;
> ALTER TABLE vesuv.passwortregel ADD COLUMN paswort_aufbau varchar(170);
> ALTER TABLE vesuv.passwortregel ALTER COLUMN passwort_aufbau SET
> STORAGE EXTEND;
>

> LOG:
> Caused by: org.apache.openjpa.lib.jdbc.ReportingSQLException: FEHLER:
> Wert zu lang fr Typ character varying(120) {prepstmnt 32613590 INSERT
> INTO vesuv.protokoll_info (id, attribut, entitaet_id, entitaetstyp,
> wert_alt, wert_neu, protokoll_eintrag_fk) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)
> [params=(long) 239, (String) passwort_aufbau, (long) 24, (String)
> PASSWORTREGEL, (String) , (String)
> dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd...,
> (long) 128]} [code=0, state=22001]
>
> With any size bigger than 170, I got the same error "FEHLER: Wert zu
> lang fr Typ character varying(120) ".
My German is a little rusty, but I believe the error message is saying
"Value too long for type character varying(120)", correct?

Did you copy-and-paste the ALTER TABLE statements above directly into
your email?  There appears to be a missing "s" in the name in the "ADD
COLUMN" statement, which might explain why the type is showing up as
character varying(120) in the error message.  Though why it would still
work with values up to 160 is a mystery.

If that's just a typo, then it might be a character encoding issue.  I'm
not sure how PostgreSQL stores the strings, but if it's using something
like UTF-8, then a 161 character string might require more than 170
characters to store in the column.  Have you tried defining the column
size greater than 170?

Rick