geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: Trying to create EntityManager in web application
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 10:33:31 GMT
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Phani Madgula
<phanibalaji.madgula@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was able to inject EntityManager in a servlet class by placing
> META-INF/persistence.xml in WEB-INF/classes. Only when
> META-INF/peristence.xml is placed in WEB-INF/classes does the web
> application is able to read the persistence.xml (application
> classloader is able to find it).

I couldn't figure it out myself either why META-INF in the webapp root
was not searched for persistence.xml's, but that's how it's in webapps
(I guess it's because the classloader for a webapp doesn't include /
in its classpath). It'll change in Java EE 6 (I couldn't resist
mentioning it ;-))

Anyway, I think you'd be better off placing your entities (or better
the classes that constitute the model) to a separate project and
include jar file only. It makes your model "technology clean" and no
ties with JPA will ever exist in the model. persistence.xml and
orm.xml would go to WEB-INF/classes/META-INF or any other jar file in
WEB-INF/lib. It could be that  the jar file with orm.xml and
persistence.xml files would contain these files only so it's possible
to replace just the jar file to change the jpa configuration.

Just a couple of ideas.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski