geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: POJO caching in geronimo
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 12:43:07 GMT
Hello Xasima,

On 15/05/2008, at 7:20 AM, Xasima Xirohata wrote:
> Hello, Gianny Damour and team. I want to list my questions and
> proposals to the possible architecture and features of the Geronimo
> POJO cache that WADI is going to implement soon.
>
> Assume that we are exposing a POJO cache using GBean, so POJOCache
> is available through JNDI (new InitialContext().lookup("java:comp/
> env/cache")) if gbean-ref and dependencies is included into
> Geronimo specific deployment plan.  The following questions are
> interesting for me.
>
> 1)     I wonder what interfaces need to be exposed to access this
> POJO Cache. We need to list these interfaces in "implements …"
> block when declaring GBEAN and in gbean-ref / ref-type section. And
> developers will use the pojo cache using these (this) interface as
> well.
>
> I suspect that we need at least the following interfaces: JSR-107
> JCache related interfaces, plain java.util.Map, and the specific
> implementation (ehcache, jcs) if someone needs to use that
> implementation directly
>

> First of all I want to consider JCache. JCache standard is far from
> being a final and it is changing till now.  Here is the list of
> limitation of the current JSR standard http://
> ehcache.sourceforge.net/documentation/jsr107.html (see section
> "Problem and limitation"), so these limitations need to be worked
> around or just emphasized for the developer if we decided to expose
> JCache as the primary interface over geronimo pojo cache gbean.

I am not convinced that JCache will ever be finalized. AFAIK it has
been dead for couple of years now. I think a clean room caching API
would have a better mileage than the JCache API.

According to me, if you need to have a caching solution now for your
application, then I suggest you to take an implementation and
directly bind your application to its API. It should be easy to
migrate your application from one caching implementation to another
one w/o too much changes to your application further down the track
if the need arises.

> 2)     The next question is on the number of GBean, that related to
> the maintenance of pojo caching. Is the PojoCache gbean needs to be
> the only gbean related to the cache, or (in distributed case) it
> may act as wrapper to the actual ehcache/tabgosol/terracotta/wadi/
> jboss-cache-wrapper gbeans. In the later case we just need to raise
> up the target  gbean and provide all configuration to it, and later
> just wired the actual GBEAN with the remote (external) one. This
> may probably help to monitor and configure these caches in more
> subtle way and allow to remain everything in the target application
> the same (even a Geronimo-deployment descriptors), while just plug-
> in (hot-replace) any remote / distributed / multilayered caching
> solution even in runtime. Example, you just set up the application
> (war/ear) that have the only dependency o local POJO cache gbean,
> that is used fast JCS back end while no other authentificated plug-
> in discovering request occurs, but when this happens your caching
> solution becomes multi tired (hierarchical) with very light 1level
> local cache with specific expiration policy and 2level distributed
> (memcache-d aware) cache.

If you want to move forward with JCS, then you need to identify the
JCS services you want to turn into GBeans. For instance, you may want
to define a GBean to configure AuxiliaryCache, another one to access
a specific cache region from JCS et cetera. The idea is that instead
of relying on JCS configuration files to configure your cache, you
configure it by defining GBeans and wiring them together.

> 3)     The third question is on Statistic. We have some pretty tab
> on the JMX section in Geronimo that seems to be used as viewer some
> graphics on historical data. Really I don't know how to exposed
> some data from the Gbean to there, but it seems to be nice to have
> exposed such a parameters as number of hits per second, or the
> pluggable one statistic like "how many request in percent to the
> total are done to the specific part of our cached data" or "how
> many data are stored in the disk sue to short overflow of overall
> memory restriction for the given local cache" (when storing is
> switch on). The result of such a statistic is useful for capacity
> planning and tuning the system.
>
> It's interesting not only to plug such a statistic and get this
> from regular Geronimo JMX tabs, but do this easily with no binding
> to the specific underline implementation. I suppose that this may
> be done if we just wrap any put / get methods of POJO GBean
> implements JCache with some JAMON  (*). Concrete interceptors (what
> collect in very specific cases) may be tired up  with GBean using
> AOP (**). Probably we need to integrate native JMX support for
> such a project as well (***)
>
> So we have three questions here: how to expose such a data to JMX
> statistic tab, how to add user defined interceptors, and how to
> configure (switch off such a tools on production when deploy or in
> runtime by JMX value)

I believe it should be up to the underlying cache implementation to
provide necessary statistics. Our your side, you simply need to wrap
the underlying implementation and expose the provided statistics as
GBean attributes. GBean attributes are available as MBean attributes
so you've got the JMX part sorted out.

> 4)     The next question is where to locate specific configuration
> files like ehcache.xml. The more precise question is where it is
> possible and appropriate to locate such a files. I suppose that
> local cache parameters (1level local cache gbean) may be located in
> war/ear, and the parameters for regular distributed cache (2level
> distributed cache gbean) needs to be located in config.xml  + var/
> config

Configuration files should not be needed as you should configure the
cache by defining GBeans.

Thanks,
Gianny