geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: EAR can't find WEB-INF/classes or WEB-INF/lib
Date Tue, 27 May 2008 23:20:42 GMT

On May 27, 2008, at 3:50 PM, Andrew Thorburn wrote:

> Yes, that helps a lot. It's not the answer I wanted, but it does
> answer the question :).
>
> I guess that means I'll have to play around and see what can be done.
>
> How do separate classloaders work with statics (fields, etc). e.g.
> If I have a class A with static field B in the WAR, and again in the
> EJB jar, will I have two instances of that field, such that the WAR
> has one (because it has it's own separate classloader), and the EJB
> will have another? If so, then that's a problem.

With normal parent-first classloader delegation, only one copy of the
class will be loaded, the one in the ejb jar.  If you turn on inverse-
classloading in the war, then you will get two copies: one in the ejb
jar visible to the ejbs, and one in the war, visible to the web app.
IMO it is almost never appropriate to turn on inverse-classloading.  I
didn't discuss this detail in my first reply.

> I don't know much about Java Beans or Enterprise Java Beans, so this
> might be a bit silly, but: Can I put the MDB in the WAR? Or does it
> *have to* have it's own JAR?

An mdb has to be in an ejb jar. (or a jar accessible to the ejb apps
classloader, such as in a jar in an ear lib directory).  Since the web
app/war has a separate classloader that is a child of the ear
classloader, there's no way you will be able to get the mdb visible to
an ejb app if it is in the war.

I guess I should mention that I think openejb standalone has a mode in
which you can do something like what you seem to want to do, but it is
not standard javaee.  I don't know too much about it.

hope this helps
david jencks