geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: WADDI WebApplication Performance?
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 11:22:53 GMT
On 07/05/2008, at 6:01 PM, rudi@je-more.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anybody experience with writing distributed WebApplications
> with WADDI and can tell something about its performance and?
Hello,

WADI should not impact the performance of your Web-application too
much. There are a couple of things to remember when implementing/
configuring your Web-applications:
1. do not store large objects in HttpSessions. If you really need to
store large objects, then I recommend you to enable delta
replication. This WIKI page describes how this works http://
docs.codehaus.org/display/WADI/1.+Delta+Session+Replication;
2. the objects you store in sessions must be serializable; and
3. the overhead of state replication increases with the number of
replicas to be maintained for a given HttpSession. So, you should
define a number of replicas which is a good balance between
performance impact caused by the overhead of replication and your HA
requirements.

> I have read the WADDI Faq's but there is no clear advice to write
> WADDI designed WebApplication to pass the needs of the Framework...

As long as your objects are Serializable, then WADI can cluster your
Web-application. As per the above point 1., if you intend to store
large objects in sessions, then you need to annotate the types of the
objects you stored in session with @ClusteredState so that wadi-aop
can identify them and instrument them.

> Waht can i do to write WebApplications (bundled with EJB's and
> JDBC DB access in a *.EAR File) to be WADDI compliant?

Nothing special here.

Thanks,
Gianny