geronimo-user mailing list archives

From ApolloX <>
Subject Remote EJB Connect - Initial Context, host unknown Exception
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 17:39:54 GMT

I'm trying to setup an EJB connection to a remote server but am getting a
host unknown exception.  I tried setting it to the local server itself
( but the exception is the same regardless.

final Properties properties = new Properties();
properties.setProperty(Context.PROVIDER_URL, "ejbd://");
properties.setProperty(Context.SECURITY_PRINCIPAL, "system");
properties.setProperty(Context.SECURITY_CREDENTIALS, "----");
final Context context = new InitialContext(properties);

generates the following error:

javax.naming.ConfigurationException: Invalid provider
URL:ejbd:// host unknown: ejbd: ejbd
	at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(
	at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(
	at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(
	at javax.naming.InitialContext.<init>(

Is this just a server configuration issue, a jar/classpath issue, or
something else?  I've checked the config.xml file and the open ejb service
is defined on port 4201 although I don't see it running in the admin

Any suggestions?  I'm using G1 although I'd imagine the problem I'm having
would be in G2 as well.