geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo and Grails
Date Wed, 14 May 2008 07:45:30 GMT

On May 13, 2008, at 9:55 PM, michaelg wrote:

> I am writing an article for IBM developerWorks on using Grails and
> Geronimo
> together. However, I am unable to deploy a Grails WAR to Geronimo.
>
> I first tried it with Geronimo 2.1.1 with Jetty. The error I got was a
> NoClassDefFound for org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileItemFactory.
> This
> class is the Geronimo repository, and is also included with the
> Grails war.
> It's the same version for both.
>
> Next I tried it with Geronimo 2.1.1 with Tomcat. This time I got a
> dom4j
> InvalidXPathException.
>
> Next I tried the Little G distribution. It worked perfectly. I had
> also
> tried standalone Tomcat with success as well, so I guess this should
> not
> have been too surprising.
>
> Obviously I have to point a finger at Grails or Geronimo, and since
> it works
> fine on Tomcat or Little G, I am pointing the finger at Geronimo. The
> Geronimo/Jetty error sure smelled like a class loader problem, but I
> have no
> clue on the Geronimo/Tomcat. Note, in all cases I included a Geronimo
> deployment plan inside the WAR (/WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml)

It doesn't matter whether the plan is included in the app or supplied
externally.

> Any ideas/advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm surprised you are seeing different results on "big" and "little"
geronimo.  You should be getting the same classloader for your app in
either server.  Would it be possible to share your app so we can take
a look at what is going on?

If I was writing an article on geronimo I would structure the project
so it consisted of one or more geronimo plugins and would show how to
construct a specialized server including those plugins.  This is by
far easier if you are using maven, which I realize might not fit with
the requirements you are working under.  There are some instructions
on how to do something similar here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC21/Constructing+a+special-purpose+server+using+maven

thanks
david jencks