On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:20 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

On Apr 29, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Andrew Thorburn wrote:

Doh. Should probably have been a bit more specific:

I'm trying to do AJAX stuff (using Javascript), and in order to do some testing, I need to be able to create a simple page that can be found by an existing project. So far, not too hard.

The tricky bit is that it uses Geronimo, and I want the project to be able to find the ActiveMQ implementation. amq.js is the Javascript that allows a web browser to do AJAX stuff with a JMS queue. This is probably the important part - I want to use the AJAX functionality of ActiveMQ, and in order to do that, I need access to the various javascript files that contain the implementation. Right now, my project can't find them, and thus I'm kinda stuck.

The exact version of AMQ doesn't matter (right now, anyway), however, the version of *Geronimo* does - I can't upgrade from 1.1.1 to 2.* because the project I'm working on has issues with it.

Have you complained about the issues, filed jiras etc?  If not please do :-)

I'll complain about them if it turns out it wasn't just me being thick :).

As such, 3.4 seems like it would work just as well as 5.0.0, provided 3.4 has AJAX support. If it doesn't, then what I'm trying to do will never be successful, and I'm a little screwed.

I'll keep playing around with the dependencies and see if they'll work for me.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer with regards to what I'm trying to do.

Also, while I'm here, if I wanted to use ActiveMQ 5.0.0 (or any version apart from what's provided), what would that involve for Geronimo 1.1.1? Would it be a simple matter of adding it to the repository (i.e. click and drag), or would it be more complex than that?

You definitely won't be able to administer amq 5 from the geronimo console like you can with the built in amq.  If you run the g. admin console you will probably have to be very careful with your classloaders since IIUC the console only runs if the built in amq is running.  So you'll have to be careful to get AMQ 5 loaded in a separate classloader.  A very basic integration more or less similar to the built in integration should be pretty easy by copying and modifying the broker gbean to start the appropriate amq 5 class.  You should use the native xbean xml configuration rather than trying to get all the geronimo gbeans to work.

Even easier.... IIRC AMQ 4 and 5 have a web app that starts up a broker (that you can then use the ajax stuff on).  IIRC this even has the broker classes inside.  So if you deploy this web app and make sure the build in amq is not in the classpath that will probably work.

I just discovered something: It seems that there's no AJAX support in AMQ 3.2.4 (the version that comes with Geronimo 1.1.1), or if there is, it's hidden quite well. I don't see it in the activemq-core-3.2.4 JAR... I had a look after it complained that it couldn't find the class org.apache.activemq.web.AjaxServlet. As it turns out, I can't find a class called AjaxServelet either.

A quick Google tells me that it's in activemq-web.jar in any event, so that doesn't help. I'll try putting one from a later version in there and I'll see what happens. If not, is there somewhere I could find the 3.2.4 (or even just 3.2.*) version of activemq-web.jar?

Hope this helps
david jencks

Thanks,

- Andrew Thorburn