geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Thorburn" <nzi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 1.1.1 + ActiveMQ - How do I allow pages to find amq.js?
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:29:46 GMT
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:20 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Andrew Thorburn wrote:
>
> Doh. Should probably have been a bit more specific:
>
> I'm trying to do AJAX stuff (using Javascript), and in order to do some
> testing, I need to be able to create a simple page that can be found by an
> existing project. So far, not too hard.
>
> The tricky bit is that it uses Geronimo, and I want the project to be able
> to find the ActiveMQ implementation. amq.js is the Javascript that allows a
> web browser to do AJAX stuff with a JMS queue. This is probably the
> important part - I want to use the AJAX functionality of ActiveMQ, and in
> order to do that, I need access to the various javascript files that contain
> the implementation. Right now, my project can't find them, and thus I'm
> kinda stuck.
>
> The exact version of AMQ doesn't matter (right now, anyway), however, the
> version of *Geronimo* does - I can't upgrade from 1.1.1 to 2.* because the
> project I'm working on has issues with it.
>

> Have you complained about the issues, filed jiras etc?  If not please do
> :-)

I'll complain about them if it turns out it wasn't just me being thick :).

> As such, 3.4 seems like it would work just as well as 5.0.0, provided 3.4
> has AJAX support. If it doesn't, then what I'm trying to do will never be
> successful, and I'm a little screwed.
>
> I'll keep playing around with the dependencies and see if they'll work for
> me.
>
> I hope that makes things a bit clearer with regards to what I'm trying to
> do.
>
> Also, while I'm here, if I wanted to use ActiveMQ 5.0.0 (or any version
> apart from what's provided), what would that involve for Geronimo 1.1.1?
> Would it be a simple matter of adding it to the repository (i.e. click and
> drag), or would it be more complex than that?
>

> You definitely won't be able to administer amq 5 from the geronimo console
> like you can with the built in amq.  If you run the g. admin console you
> will probably have to be very careful with your classloaders since IIUC the
> console only runs if the built in amq is running.  So you'll have to be
> careful to get AMQ 5 loaded in a separate classloader.  A very basic
> integration more or less similar to the built in integration should be
> pretty easy by copying and modifying the broker gbean to start the
> appropriate amq 5 class.  You should use the native xbean xml configuration
> rather than trying to get all the geronimo gbeans to work.
>
> Even easier.... IIRC AMQ 4 and 5 have a web app that starts up a broker
> (that you can then use the ajax stuff on).  IIRC this even has the broker
> classes inside.  So if you deploy this web app and make sure the build in
> amq is not in the classpath that will probably work.

I just discovered something: It seems that there's no AJAX support in AMQ
3.2.4 (the version that comes with Geronimo 1.1.1), or if there is, it's
hidden quite well. I don't see it in the activemq-core-3.2.4 JAR... I had a
look after it complained that it couldn't find the class
org.apache.activemq.web.AjaxServlet. As it turns out, I can't find a class
called AjaxServelet either.

A quick Google tells me that it's in activemq-web.jar in any event, so that
doesn't help. I'll try putting one from a later version in there and I'll
see what happens. If not, is there somewhere I could find the 3.2.4 (or even
just 3.2.*) version of activemq-web.jar?

> Hope this helps
> david jencks

Thanks,

- Andrew Thorburn