geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HOWL exception
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:16:48 GMT

On Apr 15, 2008, at 5:36 AM, Tomasz Mazan wrote:

> Kevan Miller wrote:
>>

>> On Mar 14, 2008, at 6:25 AM, Tomasz Mazan wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Guys
>>> I got very ugly (and blocking) issue with HOWL.
>>> After processing 20k request to my webservice whose are translated
>>> to ~120k
>>> XA transactions (postgres  + jms) Geronimo hangs up and does not
>>> respond on
>>> requests via HTTP, request to JMS engine (from HermesJMS) and
>>> ignores tries
>>> to shutdown server.
>>>
>>> I stopped Geronimo with kill -9 and tried to start it again and got
>>> exception:
>>>
>>> Module 11/69 org.apache.geronimo.configs/activemq-ra/2.1-SNAPSHOT/
>>> car
>>> 10:22:15,325 ERROR [GBeanInstanceState] Error while starting; GBean
>>> is now
>>> in the FAILED state:
>>> abstractName="org.apache.geronimo.configs/transaction/2.1-SNAPSHOT/
>>> car?ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.configs/transaction/2.1-
>>> SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=TransactionLog,name=HOWLTransactionLog"
>>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Negative position
>>>       at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.read(FileChannelImpl.java:613)
>>>       at
>>> org.objectweb.howl.log.BlockLogBuffer.read(BlockLogBuffer.java:412)
>>>       at
>>> org.objectweb.howl.log.LogFileManager.read(LogFileManager.java:641)
>>
>> Hi Beniamin,
>> Looks like we're configuring HOWL to create an infinite number of
>> blocks in the tx log files. I think we need to limit this to prevent
>> this IllegalArgumentException. Try adding this to your config.xml:
>>
>>     <module name="org.apache.geronimo.configs/transaction/2.1-
>> SNAPSHOT/car">
>>         <gbean name="HOWLTransactionLog">
>>             <attribute name="maxBlocksPerFile">65534</attribute>
>>         </gbean>
>>     </module>
>>
>> By my calculations, 65,535 blocks * 32 kbytes per block = 2**31 -
>> 1. I
>> believe HOWL stores a file header in each log file. So, need to leave
>> some room for that, also...
>>
>> Actually, might make sense to knock the maxBlocksPerFile size down
>> even further for testing purposes... Also, would be great if you
>> could
>> run these tests with the latest AMQ and OpenEJB fixes to avoid the
>> IllegalStateException's.
>>
>> I'm not entirely sure why your server became unresponsive. So, we may
>> have some additional work to do...
>>
>> --kevan
>>

> Kevan
>
> I got new exception on startup
>
> <pre>
> Module 14/67 org.apache.geronimo.configs/transaction/2.1-SNAPSHOT/car
> 11:30:19,196 ERROR [GBeanInstanceState] Error while starting; GBean
> is now
> in the FAILED state:
> abstractName="org.apache.geronimo.configs/transaction/2.1-SNAPSHOT/
> car?ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.configs/transaction/2.1-
> SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=TransactionLog,name=HOWLTransactionLog"
> org.objectweb.howl.log.LogConfigurationException: Configured file size
> [65534] blocks not equal previous file size [2147483647] blocks

Yes. I'm afraid you can only configure maxBlocksPerFile (and perhaps a
few other TransactionLog attributes) before you start the server for
the very first time. You'll either need a fresh install of Geronimo or
delete your old transaction log files before you restart the server.

--kevan